Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Easy-Peasy Curtain/Shade

Long time no see! I've been off remodeling (almost finished now!) and not doing much of anything useful.

I did, however, make a curtain for my guest bathroom. It was just about the easiest curtain ever to be made, and yet look how cute:



How did I accomplish this feat?

Instructions for the Easiest Curtain Ever:
  1. Measure window.
  2. Add a few inches to the top and bottom for pockets, and about an inch to each side for seams. Cut fabric accordingly.
  3. Hem all four edges.
  4. Fold over a couple of inches on the top, plus a wider amount on the bottom, and hem again, creating a pocket for the curtain rods.
  5. Place curtain rods into pockets. (I used dow rods: cut one slightly wider than the width of the curtain for the top, or slightly shorter than the curtain width for the bottom. I also used a larger rod at the bottom to give it more weight.)
  6. Hang curtain.
  7. Cut two lengths of ribbon approximately 3 times the height of the curtain.
  8. Tie ribbons around the curtain vertically, tying however you like (I did simple knots, but bows would be pretty).
Bonus: You can roll up the bottom rod to expose part of the window. Simply tie the ribbon shorter, and voila!


Yes, this is the most crafty thing I've done recently, and it's so simple anyone with a sewing machine (or the patience for hand sewing) can do it. To make it even simpler, you could use some Stitch Witchery or similar product and heat bond it together, eliminating the need for sewing altogether.

(Hey, I'm about to have a baby. I need to keep things simple. But on the other hand, look forward to diaper bag projects and cloth diaper reviews in the coming weeks.)

No comments: